In today’s post, I’m going to share with you the recipe for a Hearty Whole Wheat Cake with Dates and Walnuts and a Healthy Crumble Topping. This cake is perfect for someone with a sweet tooth who is also trying to be healthy, as it not only tastes divine but it also has healthier ingredients.
Time taken: 1 hour
- 1¼ cup wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup yogurt
- 7-8 seedless dates and/or walnuts
- ½ cup warm water/milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Crumble:
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
1. Sift the wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder together and keep the mixture aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix oil, yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla extract to make a paste.
3. Add the flour mix gradually to the wet mixture, alternating it with water/milk.
4. Add dates and walnuts. Pour the batter in a greased tin.
5. For the crumble, mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon powder in oats and mix it well.
6. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the cake.
7. Bake the cake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30-45 minutes.
This is what it looks like.
Do let me know if you try out this recipe by commenting below. I would love to see how it turned out so do share pictures with me on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook or you could email them to me at email@example.com.